The West Bridgford School

A Specialist Technology Academy

THE CAMBRIGE NATIONAL ICT CERTIFICATE

GENERAL INFORMATION for YR9, 10 and 11 (Essential)

Every piece of work students undertake in YR9, 10 and 11 in their ICT lessons counts towards their final GCSE, and students are constantly reminded of this.  The ICT course followed by the school is the ‘Cambridge National Certificate in ICT.  It is split into both an exam‐based and several coursework-based units. All units are marked out of 60.  The table below shows the grade boundaries for any unit. The school is also using the ‘Unit Grade’ descriptions on the progress report and the table shows how you can convert grades seen on the students’ progress reports into the equivalent GCSE grade (predicted for the end of YR11).

Unit Grade

Mark out of  60

GCSE Equivalent Grade

*2

54+

A*

D2

48+

A

M2

42+

B

P2

36+

C (Min GCSE pass)

D1

30+

D (Below GCSE pass)

M1

24+

E

P1

18+

F

U

Below 18

U (Unclassified)

Detailed Technical Information

The R001 examined unit is worth 25% of the students’ ICT grade, this is taken at the end of YR10.  The other 75% being made up of 3 coursework units (completed across YRs 9,10,11) and each is worth 25%.  All units are marked out of 60 and all have the same grading structure (see table above).  Scores for the 3 coursework units (R007, R002 and R005) are added to the examined unit score (R001) giving an overall score out of 240 (60 x 4).  To gain a GCSE pass, students need a minimum total score of 144 from the 4 units (36 x 4).  The 144 marks required (for a min GCSE grade C equivalent pass) can be made up in any proportion from the 4 units.  E.g. a student could have R001 : 32, R007 : 38, R002 : 24 and R005 : 50…giving 144 total and a final grade of P2 (C at GCSE).  All 4 units must be completed to gain a final grade, even if students have enough points with just 3 units.  To gain a *2 (A* equivalent) they need a minimum of 4 x 54 (216/240).  To gain a D2 (A equivalent) they need a minimum of 4 x 48 (192/240) and so on.

Upcoming Events

Jul
24

9:30 am Mon 24 July 2017 - 3:45 pm Wed 26 July 2017

WBS APP

MobHandScreen smallsept16
itunes app store logogoogle app store

Brightspace

brightspace