ATTENDANCE PROCESS AND LEAVE OF ABSENCE REQUEST FORM
Students should arrive at school in time to register at 8:30am.
Students who arrive after the completion of the register will be marked late. Students arriving after registration should sign in at Student Services. Students who are late for a third time in a half-term will be given a Director of Learning detention.
Requests for absence from school for dental appointments, visits to hospital etc, should be addressed to the tutor or Student Services and give at least one clear day's notice. Less school time is lost if such appointments can be arranged at the beginning or end of the day.
Requests for leave of absence should be given to Student Services, who can provide the appropriate form. Please be aware that all applications for leave of absence during term time must be made in advance. Time off school for family holidays is not a right. Holidays taken for the following reasons will not be authorised:
- availability of cheap holidays
- availability of desired accommodation
- poor weather experienced in school holiday periods
- overlap with the beginning or end of term
- illness or other unavoidable cause that prevents attendance
- on a day exclusively set aside for religious observance by the religious body to which the student's parents belong
- with the leave of the school
- to attend a job or college interview
- to take part in approved public performances
- to take part in special tuition, public exams, sporting events, etc
- annual holidays and trips to visit family members living overseas during term time may be authorised in exceptional circumstances
- for more details please see 'application for leave of absence during term time' guidelines
- minding the house/staying in for repairs
- attending sporting events or pop concerts
- annual holidays
- to do homework
- to help with the family business
- school uniform in the wash
- looking after brothers or sisters
If your child is absent from school please let Student Services know on each day of absence. Student Services staff will pass on any information they receive to the appropriate tutor. If the school does not receive an explanatory note or telephone mesage you will be contacted by Student Services, either by telephone or letter.
The Education Welfare Officer will be involved in all cases of poor attendance and meets weekly with school staff to identify concerns. Ultimately, the Education Welfare Officer has the right to pursue such cases through the Courts.
Certificates will be awarded to students who attain a high level of attendance.
We hope that you will appreciate the importance the school places on school attendance and will work with us to ensure that your child attends school regularly and punctually.